"Arise, shine, for your light has come, and the glory of the LORD rises upon you."

Isaiah 60:1

Friday, September 27, 2013

desk lamp makeover

I upgraded our old office lamp with a new and colorful one.  I must say, making over a lamp is one of my favorite craft projects to do!  It's fun going thrift shopping and finding an old junky looking lamp that with a little spray paint makes it look sooooooooooooooo cool!  

Our office desk with the old brown and boring lamp.


Found this baby at Goodwill.  The key is finding a lamp with beautiful curves like this one.  With spray paint  the curves pop out!


I was first thinking about spray painting it white...and then I decided to go with light blue because the lamp shade I got is gray and the gray looked nice with the light blue.  


I ran into a dilemma when I was spray painting the lamp with the white.  It was sooooooo humid outside today and I know you're not supposed to spray paint in high humidity.  I didn't care...until after I spray painted the first coat of white spray paint.  The spray paint was drying into chalky substance that was rubbing off.   Then I realized why you shouldn't spray paint in high humidity.  But I was still determined to finish the project.  So after each coat of spray painting it outside, I brought it inside to dry off in the air conditioned environment (but I did open a window and have a fan blowing on it).  I know it's not ideal...but I am so impatient that I couldn't wait, I had to finish this!  


This color turned out really nice.  And it shows off the curves and ripples of the lamp base.


With the lamp shade!


Finished product.  








The lamp in its new home.  It goes well with my fabric covered cork board!





No comments :

Post a Comment